Friday, March 26, 2010

Daily Painting by Sally Shisler, "Azalea Season" $125


"Azalea Season" (4x4")-201034
I packed so much study & prep into this little painting, small as it may be. As I've mentioned over this past few weeks, I'm experimenting with my materials. Up until now, the trials were mostly with the surface. I've settled (for now) on Art Alternatives medium weight 100% linen - primed with clear gesso. It's a beautiful mid-grey with a very nice texture. Yesterday and today were spent with hours of paint mix experimenting. For the last 3 years, I've been using Georgian oil paints. Mainly because of their affordable price, and I was painting much, much larger. I never used any kind of medium or solvent in the mixes at all - just pure paint. Most of my colors are mixed with white, and the Georgian has a very nice soft mixing white that I've really favored. However - it seems the time has really come to upgrade to all professional materials. So Winsor Newton is my pick because of their relative juiciness compared to the others. Tried Gamblin and they seem too pasty.

I did some research on the properties of the different whites. I really hate the super opacity of pure titanium, (save for a specular highlight area). Ideally I'd use flake white (tit. + lead), which seems to be the most translucent of all whites, but the toxicity of the lead white in it does not appeal to me at all. And there was something about the zinc that turned me off - can't remember now. Sooooooo - I then did some research on walnut oil, and I think I've found a workable solution. I'm mixing it in fair amounts with Winsor Newton tit. white, and it makes a super juicy mixing white that I'm really excited about.

If anyone knows of any reason why these two should not be married - please speak now!

Please contact me for purchase information at scshisler@gmail.com If you would like to become a subscribed member to my personal blog,
"All in a Painting Day's Work", simply enter your email address in the join box on my blog's home page. As a member you will receive special values on your purchases. And, periodic subscriber promotions give members the opportunity to enjoy my paintings in real life at even more affordable prices!

No comments:

Post a Comment