Thursday, April 1, 2010

Daily Painting by Sally Shisler - "Story Road, II" $125


"Story Road, II" (4x4")-201036
Important to note: All trials listed below we painted with Winsor Newton professional grade paint mixed with varying quantities of walnut oil. I haven't been able to find an answer yet on the paint to oil parts ratio that is acceptable once the painting is dry. Today I painted on Centurion Oil Primed Deluxe linen. It's slick and took a very direct paint application. There was no jimmying around, so it put my knowledge of hue & value relationships to the test. Like usual, I mixed the paint before painting. If I hadn't known ahead of time which color and value should go where, I'd have ended up with a muddy mess. In this experiment, my goal was to paint with as few strokes as possible. I have now tried a number of different surfaces, including....
1. Claussen's Oil primed #13 100% Belgian linen (portrait grade, fine weave & sufficiently irregular so that it's not distracting to me in the thinner areas. Takes the paint beautifully and is drying after 3 days with some absorbancy, though the paint isn't losing much luster, so far.) Cost-$$$
2. Centurion Oil Primed Deluxe linen, (smooth texture, weave is regular but minimally distracting because it's smooth. Takes the paint nicely. I just finished the painting, so I'll have to update in a few days on how it dries and what happens to the luster.) Cost-$
3. Art Alternatives 100% linen, medium texture/acrylic primed (the weave is tight in comparison to Raymar's cotton canvas. Requires a thick application of paint to obscure the texture on the first stroke, so if there isn't enough paint on the knife, I have to do it twice, risking the ruin of surrounding strokes. Is drying with a lot of absorbancy in the thinner areas and probably too much lost luster). Cost-$$
4. Raymar cotton duck/acrylic primed, medium texture (the weave is distractingly regular in the thinner areas, but the paint goes on very nicely. Is drying after 6 days with some amount of lost luster). Cost-$$
Up next is Ampersand...

Please contact me for purchase information at scshisler@gmail.com If you would like to become a subscribed member to my personal blog,
"All in a Painting Day's Work", simply enter your email address in the join box on my blog's home page. As a member you will receive special values on your purchases. And, periodic subscriber promotions give members the opportunity to enjoy my paintings in real life at even more affordable prices!

No comments:

Post a Comment