Monday, February 6, 2012

"The Discovery", 16x20, oil on linen by Maryanne Jacobsen


"The Discovery", 16x20, oil on linen by Maryanne Jacobsen

I absolutely loved painting this. I had never painted a dog before and frankly, I was a little worried. The reference photo (thank-you to the beautiful Tribe/Gallagher family for allowing me to use it!) showed the little girl and the dog looking at something, but most of the dog's face was covered with wildflowers, so I knew I had to wing it . I decided I could make it work if I kept it impressionistic.

Although I see things in the painting that I know I could work on to give it a more finished look, it was painted alla prima, so I am definitely leaving it alone for now. I'll digest it for a few weeks and then I'll probably refine some of the areas that need work, but for now it's at least 95% finished.

So tell me. What in the world are Ellie and Arthur looking at?

(Note: This painting is not for sale at this time.)

To see more of my work, please visit my website here, or my blog at Paint Dance.

, , , , , ,, , ,,,,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment