Sunday, January 5, 2014

I Believe in Discovery I & II, Florida Coastal Painting of the Discovery of Florida, by Judy Batterson, Florida Artist

To celebrate the 500th anniversary of the discovery of Florida by Ponce de Leon in 1513, I followed his route around the state. I also boarded a replica of his galleon which had sailed here from Spain. This was exciting to trace the history of the state I love! This set of two paintings form a diptych to represent the natural coastal areas where Ponce de Leon and his men came ashore. Sitting on the horizon is the galleon. The sand path goes inland and returns towards the ship. The tropical palms, sand dunes and azure waters are the discovery. The orange sunrise sky symbolizes what is dawning...a new land. Diptych 24"x 36" Oils, (each 18 x 24").

No comments:

Post a Comment