Saturday, August 28, 2010

"Remembering You, Mr. Van Gogh", by Maryanne Jacobsen

"Remembering You , Mr. Van Gogh", 10by10, oil on linen-$185

I bought a book in the airport recently to read on the plane when I returned from visiting with my mom. It was a blessing that I did, since we sat on the tarmac for three hours during stormy weather! The book was called The Rembrandt Affair, by Daniel Silva, and although I have not finished it yet, I am enjoying it quite a bit. The book is a mystery about the heist of an unknown work of Rembrandt's, valued in the millions. The book describes how under-protected the great masterpieces truly are, and the fact that there are many art heists of masterpieces every year in large museums and elsewhere.

Just a few days a go, I happened to pick up the newspaper and read that one of Vincent Van Gogh's paintings had been stolen from a museum in Egypt. The painting, tiled "Vase with Flowers" was worth $55 million dollars!

"Vase with flowers and poppies" by Vincent Van Gogh"

There is something so incredibly poignant, unassuming and melancholy about many of Van Gogh's paintings. I love the simplicity and innocence in this piece and would want it in my home even if it was not worth $55 million dollars!

I wish Vincent Van Gogh would have known how much joy his paintings would bring to others, in his own lifetime. For me, I have come to realize that that is what is the most important part of painting for me- giving other people a sense of joy, peace and a sense of poignancy. I dedicated this little floral to Vincent Van Gogh in the title. I hope he is enjoying many starry, starry nights, and the fragrance of lovely little flowers in his place of eternal peace and rest.

If you wish to buy "Remembering you, Mr. Van Gogh", please visit my blog at Paint Dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment