Friday, May 7, 2010

Daily Painting by Sally Shisler, "Beauty & Grace"


"Beauty & Grace" (10x8")-201047
Today's painting comes from a photo that I took last year on vacation at Anna Maria Island. I'm not sure what kind of flower this is. It's smaller than the trumpet angel, or angel trumpet (can't remember that name), and it's not any kind of lily that I know. I took some liberty with interpretation, so the details are not there. I wanted to pick up my brushes again so that I could find more subtleties in painting. And I kind of wanted to see if I could still do it. I've been hitting a wall lately with the knife work. Something about it isn't sitting well in my heart. Nor my spirit. I've spent too much time looking and relooking, and relooking at the finished pieces. I suppose hoping that the next time I look at it, I'll like it. That does happen from time to time. But I haven't been able to resolve it lately. It's way past time to move towards paintings with a higher degree of maturity. I think the brushes will get me there since I don't have to complete things alla prima, like with the knives. This painting has a romantic feel to it. I suppose after seeing so many other artists doing this (and doing it well), I wonder if I can pull off a bigger piece with these flowers as a secondary element in a figure painting. Fear!!! And then I have to ask myself if there is a better reason to try; something besides seeing if I measure up. It must be common for most artists to go through stages of identity crisis. The important thing will be to use the new inspiration I get from others works along with my own strengths and style. I feel like I'm going back to painting 101 - which really isn't a bad idea.

Please contact me for purchase information at scshisler@gmail.com If you would like to become a subscribed member to my personal blog,
"All in a Painting Day's Work", simply enter your email address in the join box on my blog's home page. As a member you will receive special values on your purchases. And, periodic subscriber promotions give members the opportunity to enjoy my paintings in real life at even more affordable prices!

No comments:

Post a Comment