Saturday, May 29, 2010

"Gulf Nightmare"-16x12, hideous, ugly, messy, gross paintings

"Gulf Nightmare", 16x12-$50

Is this what the Gulf of Mexico will look like when all is said and done? When the hurricanes start blowing this stuff from Louisiana down through the Florida Keys and over to Mexico, I imagine that it's bound to be a pretty horrific sight to see. I admit, that I'm really scared. I took out my anger and frustration on this piece of masonite. It's a mess- an ugly pitiable mess of a painting. Just like this horrible oil spill. IS there anyone out there who likes this painting, even though it's only $50? I doubt it. And no one will like the Gulf anymore either with all the dead fish and turtles and dolphins and manatees floating around in it, covered in thick black sludge.

When I moved to Florida in 2005 I was totally freaked out the first year by a bout of red tide that seemed as though it would never go away. There were dead fish everywhere on the beach and I couldn't go anywhere near the beach without getting a horrible headache and breaking into spasms of coughing. That's what red tide does to you. Thankfully, it only occurred in 2005, otherwise I don't think I could have lived here in Florida very long. That bout of red tide will be more like a picnic in the park compared to where this oil spill seems to be going. Here's a picture that I took in the summer of 2005:


I know a lot of people far removed from the Gulf don't care much about what's going on here. But when this mess gets picked up in the gulf stream and starts heading towards your coast, maybe you'll begin to feel my sense of helplessness, And when you start paying $40 a pound for shrimp, maybe you'll understand. And when this crap gets in the food chain and starts poisoning people maybe you'll care.

I don't care about the damage to the beaches as much as I care about the damage to the eco-system. Beaches can be replenished and cleaned, but an eco-system is fragile and inter-connected and the repercussions are mind-blowing in terms of the devastation this is going to do.

God is showing man that we are imperfect. So many humans have been playing God over the last 40-50 years and God has had enough. People have abandoned God because people think they are like GOD and now we see that we are just helpless, imperfect humans , continually failing and making mistakes. It's a shame.

Sorry to be depressing. Now you know what a great weekend I'm having. If you want to purchase this hideous painting, please visit my blog at Paint Dance.


, , , , , ,, , ,

, , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment