Friday, May 28, 2010

"Sunny day on the Gulf", 12x9, by Maryanne Jacobsen, plein air, Florida, gulf coast, paintings of gulf beaches

"Sunny day on the Gulf", 12x19, oil on canvas, $150, plein air by Maryanne Jacobsen

Unless you live here year round, it's hard for people to understand the intensity of the light temperature here on the Gulf of Mexico in southwest Florida. Having spent last week in beautiful southern California, I can say with certainty that even though San Diego and Sarasota are not that far off in terms of latitude, there is a world of difference in the intensity of the sunlight. Southern California has a soft, cool, almost dream-like quality, while the subtropical light here is so intense that it literally hurts your eyes. I painted out on the beach yesterday, and after an hour my eyes hurt badly, even though I was standing in the shade. (When painting plein air, you cannot wear sunglasses.) Yes, I obviously pushed the color quite a bit in this scene, but that being said, the underlying reds and oranges in the foilage colors here in Florida are obvious to even an untrained eye.

IN a striking comparison, the hills and valleys in southern California at this time of year are drenched in soft cool pinks and dramatic purples from the statice and pink ice that grow wild almost everywhere and are used as ground cover. It's a remarkable contrast from my home. Although I must say that as an artist I would much prefer to paint plein air in southern California, since I can't have my druthers I may as well take advantage of our beautiful Gulf while it is still currently beautiful.

The painting was done with mostly palette knife and has nice impasto throughout. If you wish to purchase this painting, please visit my blog at Paint Dance.

Hope you all have a very happy Memorial weekend.


, , , , , ,, , ,

, , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment